If you are an iPhone user, you know how iOS keeps evolving with every update, bringing new features, enhancements, and bug fixes to make your experience better. And if you are like me, you are always eager to know what’s coming next in the world of iOS. Well, you are in luck, because Apple has just released the first beta of iOS 17.3 to developers, and it promises some exciting new features that you will love. In this article, I will give you a sneak peek of what to expect from the iOS 17.3 update, when to expect it, and how to get ready for it. Let’s dive in!
iOS 17.3 Release Date: When to Expect the Update
Apple usually follows a predictable update cycle, releasing major iOS versions in September, followed by minor updates every few weeks or months. However, the holiday period might affect the release schedule, as Apple tends to slow down the updates in December and January. Based on previous years, we can expect iOS 17.3 to be released to the public in late January or early February 2024. Of course, this is not a confirmed date, and Apple might surprise us with an earlier or later release. But if you are a developer or a beta tester, you can already try out the iOS 17.3 beta and give feedback to Apple.
Previous iOS 17 Releases:
- iOS 17: What’s New for iPhone Users
- iOS 17.1 Released: What’s New?
- iOS 17.2 – Beta 1 Features and Updates
- iOS 17.2 Beta 2: New Features and Changes Are Here
- iOS 17.2 Beta 3 is here: New and exciting features
New Features in iOS 17.3
iOS 17.3 is not just a minor update with bug fixes and security patches. It also brings some new features that will enhance your iPhone experience. Here are two of the most anticipated ones:
Collaborative Playlists for Apple Music
If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you will love this feature. iOS 17.3 allows you to create, edit, and share playlists collaboratively with your friends and family. You can invite others to join your playlist, add songs, vote on them, and chat with them. You can also see who added which song, and when. This is a great way to discover new music, create themed playlists, and have fun with your loved ones. To use this feature, you need to enable it in the Settings app, under Music. Then, you can create a new playlist or open an existing one, and tap on the Share button. You will see an option to invite people to collaborate, and you can choose how to send them the invitation link. You can also manage the collaborators and their permissions from the same menu.
Stolen Device Protection
This is a new security feature that aims to protect your iPhone from unauthorized access if it gets stolen or lost. It works by detecting if the passcode is entered in an unfamiliar location, such as a different country, city, or network. If this happens, the iPhone will lock itself and display a message on the screen, asking the user to verify their identity with Face ID, Touch ID, or iCloud credentials. If the user fails to do so, the iPhone will erase itself and become unusable. This feature is designed to deter thieves and hackers from accessing your personal data and accounts. To use this feature, you need to enable it in the Settings app, under Privacy. Then, you can customize the settings, such as the location radius, the verification methods, and the erase option.
Enhancements and Bug Fixes
Besides the new features, iOS 17.3 also brings some enhancements and bug fixes to existing apps and system functionalities. Here are some of the notable ones:
- Safari: The web browser now supports the Web Share API, which allows websites to share content with other apps on your iPhone. For example, you can share a news article with your WhatsApp contacts, or a video with your Instagram followers, directly from Safari. You can also customize the share menu by adding or removing apps, and rearranging them.
- Messages: The messaging app now supports pinned conversations, which allow you to keep your favorite chats at the top of the list. You can pin up to nine conversations, and they will sync across your devices. You can also see the latest messages and notifications from the pinned conversations on the home screen.
- Camera: The camera app now supports ProRAW, a new image format that combines the benefits of RAW and JPEG. ProRAW gives you more control over the editing and processing of your photos, while preserving the quality and details. You can enable ProRAW in the Settings app, under Camera. Then, you can toggle it on or off in the camera app, by tapping on the RAW icon. You can also edit ProRAW photos in the Photos app, or in third-party apps that support it.
- Health: The health app now supports blood oxygen measurements, which can help you monitor your respiratory and cardiovascular health. You can measure your blood oxygen level using a compatible device, such as the Apple Watch Series 6, and sync it with the health app. You can also see your blood oxygen history, trends, and alerts in the app.
Compatibility and Installation
iOS 17.3 is compatible with the following iPhone models:
- iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max
- iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus
- iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone SE (1st generation)
To install the iOS 17.3 update, you need to have at least 50% battery life or connect your iPhone to a power source. You also need to have a stable Wi-Fi connection and enough storage space. You can check the available storage space in the Settings app, under General. Then, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings app, and tap on General.
- Tap on Software Update, and wait for the update to appear.
- Tap on Download and Install, and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Enter your passcode, if prompted, and wait for the update to download and install.
- Your iPhone will restart, and you will see a progress bar on the screen.
- Once the update is complete, you will see a welcome screen, and you can start using your iPhone with iOS 17.3.
What Else to Expect in Future Updates
iOS 17.3 is not the final update for iOS 17. We can expect more updates in the future, with more features and improvements. Some of the rumored features that might be included in future updates are:
- Dark mode for the home screen, which will allow you to change the background color of your icons and widgets to black or dark grey.
- Split view for the iPhone, which will allow you to use two apps side by side on the same screen, similar to the iPad.
- Interactive widgets, which will allow you to perform actions and tasks directly from the widgets, without opening the apps.
- App Library improvements, such as the ability to create custom categories, rename existing ones, and hide unwanted ones.
Of course, these are just speculations, and Apple might have other plans for the future of iOS. But we can be sure that iOS will continue to evolve and surprise us with new and exciting features.
Read Also: What’s Coming to the iPhone 17 in 2025
iOS 17.3 is a major update that brings some exciting new features, enhancements, and bug fixes to your iPhone. You can expect to see collaborative playlists for Apple Music, stolen device protection, web share for Safari, pinned conversations for Messages, ProRAW for Camera, and blood oxygen for Health. You can also expect to see improvements to existing apps and system functionalities. iOS 17.3 is compatible with most iPhone models, and you can install it easily by following the steps above. iOS 17.3 is a significant update that will enhance your iPhone experience and make it more enjoyable.
I am very excited about the iOS 17.3 update, and I can’t wait to try out the new features. I think they will make my iPhone more fun, secure, and productive. What about you? Are you looking forward to the iOS 17.3 update? Which feature are you most excited about? Let me know in the comments below, and stay tuned for more information as it becomes available. Thanks for reading!